Did Someone Say Meatballs?
It’s time to celebrate National Meatball Day on Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at Firepit Pizza Taver. Grab life by the meatballs and savor the juiciest in Grant Park. From appetizers and sandwiches to hand-crafted pizzas, Firepit has endless ways to indulge in the delicious holiday, including gluten-free options. Begin the celebration with Executive Chef Shaun Whitmer’s meatball starter that’s served with their signature marinara sauce, parmesan, and basil. For sandwich lovers, the classic Firepit Meatball Sub stuffed with house-made meatballs and topped with marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan and served on a toasted hoagie roll, is the answer. For those looking for a pizza fix, their acclaimed 12” Meatball Pizza featuring meatballs, spinach, red onions, and fresh mozzarella on their hand tossed, vegan-friendly dough is sure to satisfy any cravings and impress. And, for those in need of comfort food during the pandemic while quarantining, don’t miss Chef Shaun’s recipe for making Firepit’s meatballs at home. Takeout and delivery are also available. For more information or to view the full menu boasting chef-driven offerings using fresh, all natural ingredients along with a full craft beer, cocktail and wine selection, visit firepitatl.com or call 404-995-4777. Firepit Pizza Tavern, owned by Leslie Cohen, chef, community advocate and winner of Food Network’s “Cutthroat Kitchen”, is open daily for lunch and dinner and is located at 519 Memorial Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30312. Stay connected on Instagram at @firepitatl and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pages/firepitatl.
Firepit Pizza Tavern’s Meatballs Recipe:
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs or Panko
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork or Italian sausage
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a roasting pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk. Add onion, garlic, parsley, oregano and basil. Whisk together, then add salt and crushed red pepper and mix thoroughly. Fold in bread crumbs and parmesan and let mixture sit 5 minutes to hydrate the bread crumbs. Add the ground beef and ground pork and using your hands, mix until well blended. Do not overwork the mixture.
3. Using your hands, scoop out 3-ounce balls (about a heaping 1/3 cup), lightly roll to form into balls and arrange in a roasting pan.
4. When all balls are formed, add enough water to come to 1/4-inch deep around the meatballs and cover pan with aluminum foil.
5. Bake 45 minutes or until the meatballs reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
6. Uncover the pan and continue baking until the meatballs brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Approximately 10 more minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and cool. Use as a topping on pizza, serve over pasta, or just enjoy them by themselves.
Makes 12 meatballs.